Doctors & Staff
Meet the experienced and friendly doctors and staff who make Vision Source Alamo Heights the leading provider of vision care products and services in San Antonio.
Dr. Mario Gutierrez
Dr. Gutierrez is an adjunct professor for The University of Houston College of Optometry, UIW Rosenberg School of Optometry, appointed to the Texas Optometry Board, practice management lecturer, medical optometry lecturer, and a member of the Chairman’s Club for his philanthropic work associated with Optometry Giving Sight (Philanthropist of the Year 2011). He is accepting new patients by referral only (other doctors or by his current patients). He received his Bachelor of Science degree in 1981 and his Doctor of Optometry in 1984 from the University of Houston. Other work that led to this field was his externship at Brooke Army Medical Center. He entered practice with Southwest Eye Associates from 1984 to 1988. His work continued with the Cataract Institute of South Texas from 1988 to 1990, where he received extensive training in the management and treatment of eye diseases. He has been in private practice from 1990 to present. In addition, Dr. Gutierrez was for 28 years the administrator for 29 San Antonio Vision Source offices. Dr. Gutierrez’s was one of the first Vision Source offices in the country, and started and founded Vision Source in San Antonio. Vision Source is a network of premier private practices with over 3500 offices in the United States.
His Honors include: TLC Laser Center Advisory Board Chairman, Administrator of The Vision Source San Antonio,Chairman of the Independent Eyecare Providers of Texas, Director/CEO of Marrand Productions, Inc., President of VS Specialty Labs, LP. General Manager of VS Specialty, LLC., Co Chair of Texas Optometric Association Third Party Committee, Vice President of N2 Eyes, LLC, Board member of Essentia Pharma, LLC, and he is the principle and founder of 2MEye, LLC Consulting. Dr. Gutierrez is a member of the American Optometric Association, Texas Optometric Association, American Academy of Optometry and Bexar County Optometric Society. He has been a Fellow of the prestigious American Academy of Optometry since 1992. He has also been involved as a Nursing Home Eye Care Consultant from 1988 to 2000. His lectures include: Optometric CE on Cataract Surgery Co-management, Contact Lens Society of Texas on Orthokeratology, Optical Labs Manufacturers Association on Anti-reflective coating,lectures on Corneal Refractive Therapy, and has participated in many continuing education board discussions. He has also been published numerous articles in Review of Optometry, Primary Care Optometry, Advanced Ocular Care, and other eye care publications. He recently completed the advanced laser training/certification program at The Laser Therapy for the Anterior Segment Course in Tahlequah Oklahoma (July 2015), and The Surgical Procedures for Optometric Physicians (July 2016). He was appointed by Governor Greg Abbott as Chair of Texas Optometry Board 2019.
Specialty areas of work in his practice include:
– Orthokeratology Advanced Corneal Molding Practiced Since 1984-Keratoconus and Specialty Contact Lens Care.
– Lasik Surgery Consultation -Dry Eye Treatment -Optical Specialization in Fitting Patients with latest State of the Art Lenses and Designer Frames
– Clinical Investigator for Contact Lenses and Contact Lens Solutions.
– Continuing Education Lecturer for Bausch & Lomb Pharmaceuticals
– Continuing Education Lecturer for Inspire Pharmaceuticals
– Continuing Education Lecturer for Allergan Pharmaceuticals
– Continuing Education Lecturer for Coopervision
– Educational Presenter for Hoya
– Principle and Founder of “Your Eyes the User’s Guide” patient education system
– Inventor of MG Expressor used to treat meibomian gland eyelid disease
– Inventor of MG Lid Plate used to help relieve chronic meibomian gland eyelid dysfunction. Can be viewed here.
– Author of Save A Life: Neuro-Optometry Primer: The Brain. Published in 2009. Can be viewed here.
– Author of Neuro-Opometry Primer: The Brain. Published in Pharma-supplement to Austrialian Optometry. March 2011.
– Adjunct Professor University of Houston College of Optometry
– Adjunct Professor UIW Rosenberg School of Optometry
– Appointed by Governor Rick Perry to the Texas Optometry Board
– Author of Demodex Eyelid Treatment, Published in Primary Care Optometry News.
– Diplomate American Board of Optometry
– Inventor/designer of Gutierrez Bleph Brush use to treat blepharitis
– Inventor of Gutierrez Eyelid Plate Plus use to treat meibomian gland disease,and used as a multi exam instrument
– Appointed to Vision Source Administrators Advisory Board
-Appointed as Chair Rules Committee, Texas Optometry Board
– Author/Web Master for Self Refractionalization TM, practice management web page
-Appointed by Governor Abbott as Chair Texas Optometry Board
Dr. Kimberly Turner
Dr. Kimberly Turner is a native of South Texas, growing up near Victoria, Texas. She received her Bachelor of Science degree in Biology in 2001 from the University of Texas at San Antonio and her Doctor of Optometry in 2007 from the University of Houston. Dr. Turner’s interest in eyecare began as she worked in an ophthalmology clinic after receiving her bachelor’s degree. Dr. Turner completed her clinical rotations in ocular disease at different eye clinics throughout San Antonio. While in optometry school, she received Letters of Clinical Excellence for her clinical rotations each semester. Dr. Turner entered into practice at TLC Laser Eye Center in San Antonio, where she served as the Clinical Director and received extensive training in the management of corneal refractive procedures, such as LASIK and PRK. Dr. Turner is a member of the American Optometric Association and the Texas Optometric Association. She currently serves as the President for the Bexar County District Optometric Society and participates in the Texas Optometric Women’s Network.
Dr. Anna McKinney
We are excited to have Dr. McKinney join our practice. Dr. McKinney is a hill country native and grew up in Fredericksburg, Texas. She received her Bachelor of Arts in Biology along with a Minor in Business from TCU in Fort Worth, Texas. Dr. McKinney earned her optometry degree from the University of Houston College of Optometry graduating cum laude. In her final year of optometry school, Dr. McKinney completed internships involving the management of a range of ocular diseases including chronic dry eyes, diabetic retinopathy, glaucoma, and macular degeneration.
While in school, Dr. McKinney met her husband, Josh, who born and raised in San Antonio. Upon graduation, they were married and moved to San Antonio to be closer to their families. Away from the office, Dr. McKinney loves to travel and cheer on the TCU Horned Frogs and San Antonio Spurs.
Dr. Alison Fair
We are excited to welcome Dr. Fair to the Vision Source family! Dr. Fair was raised in Corpus Christi, Texas. She attended Texas State University in San Marcos where she received her Bachelor of Science in Biology in 2012. She then went on to pursue her dream of becoming an optometrist at the University of Incarnate Word Rosenberg School of Optometry, where she graduated cum laude in 2018. Dr. Fair completed her final semester of optometry school receiving clinical training from Lackland Air Force Base, where she gained experience managing a variety of conditions including glaucoma, dry eye, and macular degeneration.
In her spare time, Dr. Fair enjoys taking her dogs for walks with her husband as well as spending time with family and friends. When time allows, she also enjoys antique shopping, traveling, and visiting the beach.
Intern- University of Houston College of Optometry
Intern- University of Incarnate Word Rosenberg School of Optometry
Front Office Staff